Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Staying Connected: Bar Associations

Have I mentioned how important it is to network yet?  If I haven't yet, it's probably because everyone else in the world has written on how important it is to network.  And you know what, faithful reader?  They're all correct! Networking, especially in a down economy, is critical to developing a good law practice and getting your name out there for referrals. 


You're probably already doing it on some level, but evening students need to do more, and ramp it up.  This is critical to the legal profession,no matter what type of legal environment you wind up working in.

One great way to network is by joining your local bar associations. They often hold free events in the evenings, and they are a great resource for meeting people, and learning about new aspects of the law that you might not otherwise learn in school. Yes, I know you're in class in the evenings.  If you weren't, I'd have no blog to write. But, as you get through your semesters and your course selection is up to you, you won't have class 4 nights a week. If you join a bar that is close to your job, it may even be easier to attend events there than it is to attend events at school.  I know this is the case for me.  I work a few blocks from the New York City Bar, and it's much easier for me to get there by 6 PM than it is for me to get to Newark.  I strongly urge you to check out your local bar.  (Insert favorite "bar" joke here).

In addition to the local bars, there is of course the American Bar Association. Student membership is cheap, and it's free to join many of the sections, so you can pick the areas to receive information. Many sections of the ABA put out regular magazines (great for paper topic ideas), and email newsletters. I know you're probably inundated with emails and articles, and reading for class.  But, keeping up on recent legal events helps you to stay focused on the "real world" practice of law, and how what you're studying fits into that world. Besides, you will have to stay current with CLE credits after you graduate, so might as well get a sense of what's offered.

So, that's my advice on bar associations.  They are great resources, and can really help evening students feel like they're in the loop. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great advice! Do you feel that women especially need to get out there and network? I am sure that the current legal market poses additional challenges. I hope that by networking during law school, I will be able to make connections that will help me post-graduation. Best of luck during your final year of law school - I enjoy your blog!

Christine said...

Thanks for your comment! I think it's especially important for women to network in any given profession, not just legal. We already know that women often encounter trouble breaking into some of these "old boy" networks; they don't get invited to golf outings, poker games, etc. Yes, even in 2011! There are great resources at women bar associations (like the New Jersey Women Lawyers Association), and they are definitely worth looking into. Madeline Albright said it best: "There is a special place in hell for women who do not help other women." Best of luck, and let me know if I can help you out :)